1. The UPS is the electric device which has rectifier for providing the backup power to the system whereas the inverter converts the AC into DC.
2. The main function of the UPS is to store the electric supply whereas the inverter converts the AC power into DC power.
3. During the power outages, the UPS immediately switch over from the main supply to the battery whereas the inverter has a time delay.
4. The UPS provides the electrical backup power, and the inverter provides the electronics backup power supply.
5. The Offline, Online and Line Interruptive are the types of the UPS whereas the inverter is of two types, i.e., the standby inverter and Grid tie inverter.
6. The UPS is directly connected to the home appliances whereas the inverter is first linked to the battery and then attached to the appliances circuit.
7. The UPS is more expensive as compared to the inverter.
8. The rectifier and battery are inbuilt in the circuit of UPS. The rectifier converts the AC into DC and stores the energy into battery whereas the inverter has an external battery for storing the DC power.
9. The UPS provides the backup supply for very short duration whereas the inverter supplies the power for an extended period.
10. The UPS does not have voltage fluctuation because their input is independent of the output supply whereas the inverter has voltage variation.
11. The UPS is used for the domestic purpose, in offices and industries whereas the inverter is used in the office.
Once again, if you’re going the generator route, get expert advice before you buy. Also have the generator installed by specialists. Please, out of respect for your neighbours and neighbourhood , buy special housing that dampens the noise and get an extractor installed to lessen the fumes, especially from diesel generators.
Circutglobe.com explains: A Generator converts mechanical energy into electricity. It provides electricity to homes, industries, offices and so on. when there is no power supply. Generator use coal, natural gases, oil as a source of power supply. Hence, its maintenance becomes a problem, but one of it advantage is that it can operate for longer duration of time.
The Inverter is a device which converts direct current available in the form of the battery to the alternating current. The battery should be charged regularly or it should be always on the ON condition, so that it automatically, charge itself. It needs wiring to connect the equipment which one needs to run at the time of power cut so that the equipment starts automatically.